Question : Urban Employment Guarantee Scheme

(a)whether is the light of the plight of migrant during COVID, the Government has decided to launch any urban employment guarantee scheme and if so, the details thereof and if not, the reasons therefor;
(b)the status of the social security scheme for Creation of a National Platform of Unorganised Workers (seeded through Aadhaar) is the light of the announcement of launching a portal to collect data of informal unorganised sector workers;
(c)the reasons for a sharp decline in allocation for the Bima Yojana for unorganised workers from Rs 200 crore to Rs 10 Lakh; and
(d)the reasons for no allocation to the Pradhan Mantri Gareeb Kalyan Yojana?

Answer given by the minister


(a): Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs is implementing a Centrally-sponsored Scheme viz. the “Deendayal Antodaya yojana - National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY – NULM)” to reduce poverty and vulnerability of urban poor households by enabling them to access gainful self-employment and skilled wage employment opportunities. The employment through Skills Training and Placement (EST&P) component of the Mission aims to provide skills to the urban poor to


:: 2::

increase their income through structured and market-oriented certified courses that can provide wage employment or self-employment opportunities which will eventually lead to better living standards and alleviation of urban poverty on a sustainable basis. The Self-Employment Programme (SEP) component focuses on financial assistance to individuals/groups/SHGs of urban poor for setting up gainful self-employment ventures or micro-enterprises. Furthermore, PM-SVANidhi Scheme has been launched to facilitate collateral free working capital loan up to Rs. 10,000/- for one year tenure to street vendors, to help them resume their businesses, which were adversely affected due to Covid – 19 pandemic.

(b): Ministry of Labour & Employment in technical collaboration with National Informatics Centre (NIC) is in the process of developing a registration module for creating a comprehensive National Database for Unorganized Workers (NDUW) seeded with Aadhaar for all Unorganised workers including Construction Workers, Migrant Workers, Gig and Platform workers, Street Vendors, Domestic Workers, Agriculture Workers and similar other sub-group of Unorganised workers. At present, the process for dry run and security audit is underway. The project is expected to commence the registration work by August, 2021.

(c): The beneficiaries of the erstwhile Aam Admi Bima Yojana have been included in the converged scheme of Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) and Pradhan Mantri Surksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY). Hence no budget is required towards the beneficiaries of Aam Admi Bima Yojana.

(d): The component of Pradhan Mantri Gareeb Kalyan Yojana(PMGKY) under Ministry of Labour and Employment was launched during first wave of Covid – 19 for the period of six months from March to August 2020. Under PMGKY, Ministry of Labour & Employment has contributed both 12% employer’s share and 12% employee’s share under Employees Provident Fund (EPF), totaling 24% of the wage for six months from March to August, 2020 for the establishments having


:: 3 ::
upto 100 employees with 90% of such employees earning less than Rs. 15000/-. Under the PMGKY scheme Rs 2567.20 crore was credited in EPF accounts of 38.85 lakhs eligible employees through 2,63,272 establishments.
Later, as a sequel, Aatmanirbhar Bharat Rozgar Yojna (ABRY) Scheme has been launched with effect from 1st October, 2020 to incentivize employers for creation of new employment along with social security benefits and restoration of loss of employment during COVID-19 pandemic. This scheme being implemented through the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) reduces the financial burden of the employers of various sectors/industries including MSME and encourages them to hire more workers. Under ABRY, the Government of India is bearing for a period of two years, both the employees’ share (12% of wages) and employers’ share (12% of wages) of contribution payable or only the employees’ share, depending on employment strength of the EPFO registered establishments. As on 14th July, 2021 total benefit has been given to 86,610 Establishments covering 23,58,653 beneficiaries. ABRY has been extended up to March, 2022.


Download PDF Files